Attached is a call for proposals for time on a number of Australian Supercomputer Facilities for Q3-Q4 in 2012. The same information is available on the Astronomy Australia web-site at http://astronomyaustralia.org.au/astac.html
We would like to draw your attention to the following key points:
1. The time available for computational astrophysics on internationally competitive facilities has increased markedly over the last year. This is a good time to be working in this area.
2. The GPU facility gSTAR, located at Swinburne, offers users an opportunity for very high performance computational power for appropriately written code.
3. Fornax, the second supercomputer installed as part of the Pawsey Centre project, is also a GPU facility and is now available for general access.
4. The deadline for this current round of proposals is 8 June, 2012 so that there is adequate time to prepare a good proposal.
5. ASTAC is particularly keen to encourage graduate students and early career researchers to become involved in this rapidly developing field, which offers the capacity to perform simulations of numerous astrophysical situations at high resolution and in three dimensions. Advisers are available to assist people in getting started in this area.